Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Work of God - part 2

I've struggled with discouragement as I contemplate Christian work.  It was through that struggle that I came to gain a better perspective on how the work of the Church relates to God's Work. I am beginning to learn what my ongoing place in the work might to be.

Not many weeks ago, I finished a 7-year Bible study program.  I served the last three of those seven years in their children's ministry. The study is rather demanding and serving in the children's program made it harder. It's not US Marine Corps boot camp by any means, but I wouldn't be surprised if they borrowed a few things from the Marines in setting things up. The organization that runs the ministry is has weekly classes across the US and in several foreign countries.  Their's is a very rigid program which some have compared to a seminary level Bible study.  I am reluctant to mention the name of the organization here, because I don't want to hinder the work.  Despite whatever criticism I have against their rules and methods, I am convinced that God is working through that ministry to bring people closer to Him. He did that for me, and I pray He'll do it for others as well.

Well, I finished that study feeling broken and worn out. I was stricken with debilitating lower back pain for a few weeks after we finished our last class for the 2006-2007 program.  I had been ignoring back pain for weeks, getting by with over-the-counter pain remedies. But the intensity of the pain rendered those remedies useless.  Within a couple of days after that last Bible study class, I was struggling to walk. I found relief in sitting and lying down, but getting in and out of a chair or bed was a major challenge. 

I was also engaged in a mental struggle over the circumstances that had brought me to that condition. My opinion at the time was that the the rigidity and rules of the organization were more that one ought to bear or tolerate.  I worked with a partner in teaching a class of 8-9 year-old children.  In accordance with the rules of the organization, we each had specific responsibilities which rotated each week.   We had to attend a worker's meeting at 5:30 AM  on the Saturday before each weekly evening class. If either of us missed the Saturday meeting then that person could not teach the following class.  That also meant that the burden fell on the other man to teach the whole class.  The one who missed the Saturday meeting could be there, but trust me when I say that it would probably be better for everyone if he were not there at all during the class.  So it was do or die just to be there for the meetings.  I could go on about more specifics, friends, but I think that should suffice in the way of details.  It seemed like legalism was a big part of the work in that organization.

 To be continued in part 3.